Newcomb Elementary School is a comprehensive elementary that makes a difference in students’ lives by building relationships between students, staff, parents, and community while:
- Connecting student learning to their future endeavors, as they move on to the Secondary level.
- Creating a positive classroom environment focused on effective instruction, participation, and collaboration,
- Providing opportunities to experience and explore the Common Core skills.
To find out more about our vision and direction for the 2018-2019 school year, read below.
Staff at NES are committed to student learning. This year staff is participating in action-based research activities to increase our student engagement and achievement. We will be focused on the engagement strategies that will be incorporated into the individual classrooms.
Another exciting activity we are involved in is the planning of a new afterschool and extracurricular programs, such as Girl Scouts, Native American Leadership and Language Program, and restorative method of addressing negative behavior.
There will also be a focus on several non-negotiables for your child. Non-negotiables are principles we all agree to abide by, like a contract. If any member of the group does not follow the list, then the contract is broken and we won’t accomplish our goal.
This year’s non-negotiables are:
- Teachers and students are expected to use the full extent of class time. Students will not be released early from class.
- Staff will encourage student punctuality and attendance by being visible in hallways, following the building tardy policy and entering attendance into PowerSchool.
- Staff will make school a welcoming and safe place. Staff presence in hallways will assist in this.
- Staff and students will not use their cell phones, electronic devices, or headphones during the class period UNLESS electronic devices are being used for administrator- approved teacher directed learning activities.
These non-negotiables will allow us to focus on improved student achievement and engagement in the classroom. By holding each other accountable with these non-negotiables, staff and students will make NES a better learning environment for EVERYONE and unite us in fulfilling our mission of: “Communication, Collaboration, and Commitment”.